YEAH, RIGHT!! Not at MY house this morning, or like, ever! Consequently, no artwork, no updates for you today. How about some funnies, though?
Here are some edited quotes from this cute little book pictured above by Julia Cameron, famed author of "The Artist's Way" tomes. I'm not crazy about her writings, but I found some of these little thoughts funny and pointed enough to be worthy of repeating here.
So, how do you actively avoid making art or anything else you enjoy? Among other brilliant (and oh-so-recognizable) ploys:
- by telling yourself you can only work in absolute quiet
- by going for the royal family's official portrait in your first year
- by throttling your joie-de-vivre every time it crows,
- by talking about it so you don't have to do it
- by considering the odds of selling your book/artwork/whatever you're making
- by demanding that what you do be absolutely original and totally brilliant
- by telling yourself your job prevents you from doing art and then working overtime to prove it
- by demanding fifteen free hours to create and ignoring the 15 minutes you've got
- by deciding you can't afford a drawing class, and buying new jeans to console yourself
- by telling yourself you don't want to be typecast, and turning down that acting job
Are you laughing or crying? What do you do to yourself to hold yourself back? Care to share and get it out of your system? Want to shine a light on one of these self-sabotaging schemes and bannish it from your life forever? No time like the present, my friends.