4.2.08

Yay For Scrapbookers (And The Retailers Who Love Them)

I am not a scrapbooker. You have to be way too organized, focused and mature to get into it and do it properly, and for some unfathomable reason, I am one or two of those things from time to time, but never all three at the same time. So, even though I, like, totally dig a bunch of talented scrapbookers, this is not exactly my cup of tea*.


But scrapbooking tools are! Now that entire sections of stores are devoted to paper arts and equipment, there are many, many delightful discoveries to be made for those of us who straddle the creative divide of art/hobby/kids' crafty hour. And this year, I have three new favourite tools (sorry, no links, it's really hard to find any additional info about the first 2 online, just take my word for it):

  • First, this ergonomic cutter (x-acto knife), above, made by Fiskar, which works like an extension of my finger, brilliantly precise

  • Even better, these glue dots and glue tape dispensers (above and right) - well, not both dispensers actually. I only really like the UHU tape roller, works great for me and my 4-year old equally. The Elmer contraption which is supposed to pump out glue dots turned out to be a complete dud. It's quite clunky and as you can see, it ended up disemboweled because it's so much easier to just pick up the individual glue dots by hand. Still, I love the idea of the glue dots: no more mess and everything lays absolutely flat.

  • And last, but not least, my trusty microfiber cloth: this, I didn't find at the art supply store, but rather at the grocery or dollar store. Microfiber cloths are amazing, they clean everything - everything - with just a tiny bit of elbow grease, or a few drops of water. What does a housecleaning rag have to do with an art supply list? While playing with gel medium transfers, I discovered that rubbing the outer paper layer with a microfiber cloth to expose the print underneath saved me from all those painful blisters I was about to get. It does a great job of that annoying rubbing chore with much less effort and much neater results: just wrap a slightly damp cloth around your fingertip and rub. There are many more uses for this miracle cloth in the studio, but I need material for other posts so stay tuned.

    * I know I'm going to be eating my words soon, because I'm preparing another post about a great scrapbooking/digital art resource

8 comments:

Artists With Artitude said...

Rima, you know I am a total KLUTZ when it comes to scrapbooking. I have NO idea where to begin and I usually cry with frustration whenever I peruse all these gizmos at the craft store(not really... but you get the idea).

Thanks for enlightening your old-fashioned sister. One item I am not really familiar with is the cutter (hint hint...late birthday gift maybe?). The microfiber trick is a stroke of Rima-genius. Don't like the glue dots, they stick all over my fingers...

I will be looking forward to some more decyphering of this scrapbooking craze! Merci!

Andi said...

Hi Rima, I love the new blog header. Very graphic. It's gorgeous.

I'm also not a scrapbooker. When my daughter was born I thought I would like to be. But, alas, wanting to scrapbook and actually scrapbooking are two very different things. As a result, I have tons of scrapbooking supplies, but very few finished pages.

Rima said...

I love that cutter - i'll get you one. as for the dots, try the tape, you'll thank me, honest.

Andi! I'm preparing a post on digital scrapbooking++ - stay tuned, we're all in the same boat, i need to figure out what to do with all the pics we have to but i need more research

The Artful Eye said...

I won't get into scrapbooking, the way I see it my life is a giant scrapbook. Great tip on the microfiber cloths!

Anonymous said...

Rima,
Glue Dots® are sold on rolls and sheets and can be purchased at Michaels and a variety of scrapbooking stores throughout the country. You get the dots without the clunky contraption.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Rima,

What a great assortment. I am not a scrapbooker either .. but I LOVE all the art equipment .. I just love all the gadgets and gizmos .. my birthday comes up in a couple of months too (smile).

Thanks for this!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

lebanesa said...

Do you know, Rima, the shops here are full of things for scrapbooking and I am none the wiser. What exactly IS scrapbooking?
I have always loved crafts, but some of the new stuff seems ridiculous and I can't see the point of it. It seems to be designed for self-assembly rather than any real creative work of ones own, so any light you can shed will be more than welcome to me.
For example, I saw a blank card (more expensive than a piece of card or even a commercially-produced greeting card and nearby a few tiny things you could buy at huge expense to stick on to the card and some lettering you could stick inside to say unusual and daring things like 'Happy Birthday' - I presume for people who didn't realise a pen would be cheaper than the lettering and might allow you to write Happy Birthday in more than one card. Why? Is it a pretence that this is original work and not mass-produced?

Bobbie said...

I LOVE that cutter, but my birthday is not for awhile..maybe I could pretend? hehe. I've actually never heard of glue dots...what on earth are they for? Thanks for the tip on microfiber cloths. I use them for a variety of things already, one is washing windows. So I'll just carry one to the craft "room" (that would be my kitchen table, lol!)